Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Week 1 ending June 20th, 2009

I hurt my foot and have been hobbling around the streets of New York for a few weeks now. New York is such a busy and diverse place yet most of us are so busy we barely get a chance to notice it. But this week, as I slowly moved through the streets, I encountered New York in so many different way....

- I stopped and listened to a guy playing guitar in Union Square park

- I watched children swinging on the swings

- I noticed ALOT of people texting....something I've never had much use for until recently.

- I talked to our server who was a really happy guy. I asked him his name; I don't remember it now. This bums me out.

- I met a homeless man named Charles; he comes from North Carolina and has lived on the streets for 20 years.

- I talked to a hairdresser named Thom; he has survived many bouts of cancer. His animated and quirky sense of humor made me smile. He drank two drinks at a time. I hope to see him again.

These are the people and places that made me stop and pay attention....


Click to play this Smilebox slideshow:
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

2 comments:

  1. Cool idea Rachel! The slideshow is a great idea. Any way to add music? If not..still...awesome. I like the 'weekly highlights' approach to this. New York has so many stories, thanks for sharing a few with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brad.
    I think there is an option to add music but finding music each week is probably more than I can sort out right now. Although, having said that - I'm open to song suggestions each week from any one!
    Thanks for looking....I continue to watch yours. Loved the book one!

    ReplyDelete